Saturday, December 15, 2012

Day 323 or It's My Birthday!

So it's my birthday.  No big deal other than I'm now 59 years old (or young depending).  I don't really feel bad about it but I must admit it's a bit of a challenge.  When this journey started the odds were somewhat stacked against me.  By that I mean I grew up in an envirourment that was a trap when it came to eating.  In my formative years I grew up in the midwest and was the product of a culture that saw food as the ultimate expression of love.  So when you were at the kitchen table if there was food you had to eat it.  And you didn't just eat some of it, you cleaned your plate.  Again you had to, otherwise you didn't leave the table. Then there were the grandparents, wonderful people but as a kid food was pushed at you and encouraged to overeat.  "Oh you're a growing boy you need lots of food".  So I'm trying to undo that mindset.  I think that's as much the issue as just being inactive is.  So that's why I'm committing to another year of personal training with L.  I need to keep reminding myself that I don't have to eat it all and as a matter of fact I only have to eat as much as I need.  Now I just have to learn to recognize how much I really need, not want.  Because I want it all. 

I've chronicled my weight gain and subsequent loss and re-gain earlier in this blog.  I also want to record my progress where I can actively read tthe history.  Every day has been a challenge.  If it isn't just me wanting to eat 2-3 hamburgers and onion rings and milkshakes then it's going to work and winding my way thru the minefield of treats due to birthdays or rewards for a job well done.

For my birthday treat at work I requested cookies, of course.  They were cookies from Trader Joes so they were at least a bit more healthier than say, Oreos.  I did eat my share of them as tthe day wore on.  I was working a long shift helping out due to the need for extra staffing.  The plan was after I got off to go to the local Mexican joint and have dinner and drinks with friends and co-workers.  I will say that this was one of the best birthday's I've enjoyed in a long time.  Now I don't have anything against birthdays as there's really nothing you can do about them.  So I figure it's in my best interest to just go with it and enjoy it while you can.  This time though was an exceptional time overall.

The day started out normal.  For breakfast I had my usual egg and today had steak strips on a skinny bun with tomato and avocado.  Ate my banana and drank my 20oz of cold water.  When I got to work the cookies were there waiting for me and so started the cookies pandemoneum.  I had a couple and then for 1st break I had my Greek yogurt and almonds along with some cookies.

For lunch I wanted to continue my birthday tradition of having Chinese food.  So I went to a fast food Chinese place and got a small order of food.  It did have fried rice along with Broccoli Beef and I added an egg roll.  I will admit it was just okay and more than likely didn't satisfy my craving for Chinese food.  For now though I'm holding back.  Oh and I had some more cookies.

Throught the rest of the day I had a cookie here and there until the end of the work day when I went to have one last cookie and they were all gone.  Finally!

So after work I went to the Mexican restaurant and met up with co-workers for night of fun.  While at the restaurant I had some fish tacos and rice and beans.  I also had a few adult beverages.  That was just the start.

No comments: